It is important that special attention be given to the storage of ammunition
during rainy seasons. If the necessary material for stacking and covering the
ammunition is not available, it must be buried. However as there is danger of the
pits being flooded, the following precautions are recommended in a translated
* * *
(1) The pits must be dug deeper than required and filled to the required
level with rubble.
(2) The ammunition should not come into contact with the sides of the pit.
(3) The top should be covered in as far as possible with old tarpaulins,
(4) If there is danger of the pit flooding, the ammunition should be taken
out, even if it is still raining. Separate charges must be given first preference.
(5) The ammunition should be examined when the rain has stopped, but
air-tight containers which are intact must not be opened. Damp ammunition
should be treated according to instructions, but it should not be exposed to the sun
directly as it will become moist again when it is put back into a cool pit.