Under date of 10 April 1943, General von Arnim, Commander-in-Chief of the
Axis forces in Africa, issued the observations and order indicated below. As a
sensible precaution against aircraft casualties, it is worth consideration. The
translation reads as follows:
* * *
On my flight over the new positions today, I found there, and stretching
far to the rear, unbelievable sights: vehicles and tents grouped together in
very small spaces such as small woods, narrow, dry stream beds, etc. This
must increase the heavy casualties by enemy aircraft.
(1) Distances between tents must be 100 meters;
(2) Distances between vehicles, 50 meters;
(3) Near a house, only one vehicle may be parked and then only on the shady side;
(4) When stopped on a highway, the distance of 30 meters from vehicle to vehicle must be enforced;
(5) If vehicles are parked already on part of the road, no further
parking is allowed, and none will be parked on the opposite side
of the road;
(6) When a motor convoy is parked, a traffic post must be set up at a
distance of 30 meters in front of, and to the rear, of the column;
(7) Columns must not stop on bridges, curves, or in towns; single vehicles may
park on side streets in towns, but not on the main highway.
The traffic posts and patrols must be especially watchful in carrying out the above regulations.
Signed: von Arnim