CREW COMPOSITION AND FORMATIONS
4. COMPOSITION. The crew of the M36 tank destroyer consists of five members—a destroyer commander, a gunner, an assistant gunner, an assistant driver, and a driver.
5. FORMATIONS. a. Dismounted posts. The crew forms in one rank. The destroyer commander places himself three paces to front (or rear) of right track of vehicle, facing to the front. The others form at double time in line at close interval on the commander's left in the following order, right to left: gunner, assistant gunner, assistant driver, and driver. (See figs. 1 and 2.)
|IN FRONT, FALL IN||IN REAR, FALL IN|
b. Mounted posts. The crew forms mounted as follows (fig. 3):
(1) Destroyer commander. In turret, on seat in rear of gunner to right of 90-mm gun.
(2) Gunner. In turret, on gunner's seat to right of
(3) Assistant gunner. In turret, standing at left of
(4) Assistant driver. In assistant driver's seat.
(5) Driver. In driver's seat.
|Figure 3. Mounted posts.|
6. TO FORM CREW. a. Crew being dismounted. At the command IN FRONT, FALL IN, the crew takes dismounted posts in front of the destroyer. (See par. 5a and fig. 1.) At the command IN REAR, FALL IN, the crew takes dismounted posts in rear of the destroyer. (See par. 5a and fig. 2.) In falling in, crew members dress automatically on the destroyer commander at close interval and then come to attention without command.
b. Crew being at dismounted posts. At the command FALL OUT, the crew breaks ranks. The crew habitually falls out to the right of the vehicle.
c. Crew being at dismounted posts. At the command CALL OFF, the gunner calls off "one"; assistant gunner, "two"; assistant driver, "three"; and driver, "four."
d. Crew being at dismounted posts. To change designations and duties, the command is CHANGE POSTS.
(1) At the command—
(a) The destroyer commander moves by the rear to the left flank position and becomes the driver.
(b) The other members of due crew move smartly to the right one position and prepare to call off their new designations.
(c) The new destroyer commander commands CALL OFF, as soon as the crew is re-formed in line.
(2) The movement should be executed with snap and precision and at double time.